Kilcredaun

Kilcredaun Lighthouse
Name:
Kilcredaun
Established:
1824
Current Version Built:
1824
Automated:
1929
Electrified:
1991
Height (ft):
43
Operator:
Commissioners of Irish Lights (until 2011)

Kilcredaun Lighthouse is an unusual looking one on account of it's unusually short lantern room. The tower was built by the Commissioners of Irish Lights and entered service in 1827 - it predates the more well known nearby lighthouse at Loop Head by 30 years, making it the oldest lighthouse on the peninsular.

The tower is only 13 meters tall, but is sited atop a cliff, making it visible for many miles.

In 1929 the light source was changed to Acetylene gas which was produced on site, allowing for the light to go unmanned. Further changes were made in 1931 when a small fresnel lens was installed which took up a lot less room in the lantern, and so in 1941, for reasons that are unclear, the decision was made to shorten the lantern room structure, taking out 2 rows of the square glass panes and replacing the more traditional domed roof with a more modern conical steel one, resulting in the lighthouse looking quite different to any other in Ireland.

1991 saw the lighthouse converted to have an electric light source, which meant the station could be made fully automatic and monitored remotely from the CIL headquarters in Dublin. The white light was quickly exhibited once every 6 seconds with a range of 13 nautical miles, but was discontinued in 2011.

Despite having been decommissioned the small Fresnel lens still remains in situ.