Suther Ness Lighthouse
Suther Ness' old prefabricated Lighthouse was built in 1904 by the Northern Lighthouse Board's cheif engineer and the 5th in his family to be such; David Alan Stevenson.
The Lighthouse marked a channel which passes the west side of Whalsay in the Shetland Isles; the ferry from Symbister to Bruray passes the new 7 meter high replacement tower which is of a standardised square design, utilizing durable, cheap and light aluminium pannels. Lights of similar design to this modern tower resulted in the replacement of many of these more traditional automatic lighthouses throughout scotland, when they came to the end of their working lives.
The lighthouse originally used a small fresnel lens and gas burner giving a light with red white and green sectors. When the tower was replaced, it was disassembled and rebuilt at Fraserburgh's 'Museum of Scottish Lighthouses'.
The new tower gives a flash every 3 seconds and is operated by the Northern Lighthouse Board.