Granton Middle Pier Lighthouse
The lighthouse on Granton's central pier is of a simple but unusual design, unlike any in Scotland, let alone any in the rest of Britain.
The designs for a lighthouse on this site were drawn up by a William Burn, although it is unclear whether this was the designer of this tower or of a possible previous lighthouse. The current 12 metre tower consists of a lantern and gallery supported by a single concrete pole-like structure. A ladder, enclosed in a cage-like structure on the landward side of the 'tower' provides access to the gallery and light.
The lantern, unlike most Scottish lantern designs, housed a 4th order Fresnel lens built by Chance Brothers of Birmingham, around 1869, but the design of the tower suggests that it was built much later than its lens and this suggests that the lens would have been used in a more substantial light-tower prior to being installed in the one seen today.
The lens magnified a gas lamp, presumably powered by Acetylene, which is a stable-enough gas to leave unwatched, allowing for semi-automatic operation. This lamp was surrounded by a red filter, also housed within the lens; this gave out a red light, visible throughout an arc of 180 degrees seaward, for 8 miles.
The light remained in use until 1970, after which the lens was removed and the pier started falling into decline.