The Lighthouse on Fidra Island in the Firth of Forth was built in 1885 by the Northern Lighthouse Board in 1885 to the designs of Thomas Stevenson & David Alan Stevenson, who both worked as Engineers for the Board.
The simple 17 metre high tower, perched atop the rocky island, is painted white with a gold gallery trim and watch-room, supporting a small black hectical lantern, which until recently contained banks of Sealed Beam Units; a popular light source with the NLB; these were replaced with LEDs powered by arrays of solar panels on the Island. The light exhibits a group of 4 flashes every 30 seconds and was one of the first offshore Lights to become completely automatic, in 1970; this probably owes partly to being so close to the NLB depot and headquarters, in-case any problems were to arise. The current range of the lamps is unknown, but previously the lamp was visible for up to 24 Nautical Miles.
Fidra is thought to be the inspiration for Robert Louis Stevenson's famous book 'Treasure Island', and the map of it is supposedly based on the small Island, following visits companied by father, who had a large part to play in the design of the tower.