Rua Reidh Lighthouse
Rua Reidh Lighthouse was built and lit in 1912, under the direction of the Northern Lighthouse Board's chief engineers; David A. Stevenson, despite the oposition of Trinity House, who did not agree that a lighthouse was needed on this area of coastline, rather than a small automatic light.
The station, which still operates today, consists of a circular stone light-tower connected to a two storey block of keepers houses (now holiday accommodation) and a fog siren, mounted on a tower next to an engine room, which has been mostly demolished.
The light came into full operation officially on 15th January 1912, exhibiting 6 quick flashes every 30 seconds, with a siren fog signal giving a Group of 4 blasts of the same pitch every 90 seconds, with each blast's duration being 2.5 seconds.
Until the 1950's the lighthouse did not have a road and due to its remote location had to be reached by boat. Keepers and supply's including parafin for the light, were landed at a purpose built quay, a short walk from, but out of sight of the lighthouse.
Most goods were transported from the quay to the lighthouse via a cart on a track, pulled most of the way by a winding engine at the top of a gradient and then pushed for a short distance to the houses by the keepers.
In 1985, the red foghorn trumpet, clockwork mechanism and siren were removed and saved for display in the Gairloch heritage centre, along with the original optics, several old lamps and pieces of lighting aparatus. At the same time, half of the fog horn tower and most of the engine room that housed the fog signal equipment was demolished, leaving only one floor of the tower and the front facarde of the engine room.
All of the presurised air tanks were removed, presumably for scrap.