The Lighthouse on Rona Island (Which is sometimes refered to as South Rona to avoid confusion between Rona, which is another island by the same name, which also bares a small automatic lighthouse, not far north of Butt of Lewis) was built in 1857 by the Northern Lighthouse board, following the suggestion of a chain of lights guiding ships between the mainland and Skye, as well as several others.
This advice was given to the board by David Stevenson and it is him who designed the tower, similar in style to other Light Stations in the area. The Lighthouse is situated at the northern tip of the Island, which is North of Raasay.
Originally a widow who called Janet Mackenzie who lived on the Island before the Lighthouse was built, showed a light from one of her windows, for which the Northern Lighthouse Board gave her a grant for £20
Today's Light is shown from 13 metre high cylindrical structure with a gold painted gallery and black domed lantern. The white light inside the tower flashes once every 12 seconds, giving a white beam visible of 19 Nautical Miles. The Island can be seen from both sides of the waters it stands in, but is viewed easier from the Isle of Skye, as few roads go near the shore along the stretch of coast from which it would be visible from on the Mainland.
The Light was automated in 1975 and is now remotely controlled from the Northern Lighthouse Board headquarters in Edinburgh.