Kylerhea Lighthouse was built in 1892 for the Northern Lighthouse Board to the design of David A. Stevenson and Charles Stevenson; both of whom were Engineer in Chief to the Northern Lighthouse Board and from a family of Lighthouse Engineers who had served the Lighthouse Board for many generations, producing many of the Lighthouse technologies and building techniques used in Scotland, even to this day.
The 7 meter high tower is one of few remaining minor aids to navigation of this design that exist anywhere else in Scotland, owing to many of them having been replaced and demolished over the years. The structure itself is a tapering pyramid shape with four sides and during the high tide, most of the tower is submerged in the Kyle Rhea (The strait separating Skye from the Mainland), connecting the Kyle of Localsh to the Sound of Sleat. - Its unusual 6 sided lantern houses a light exhibiting a flash every 3 seconds, red white or green depending on direction, which marks the bend in the narrow channel.
The metal gallery which surrounds the Lantern is a recent addition and does not resemble the original, which was a much more narrow circular platform with a simple railing surrounding it; the access to the light was from the gallery, which was reached by a ladder located on the back. With the new gallery, this is located on the northernmost side of the tower. This layout seems unusual, as the tower has a single circular porthole-like window on that side, so the tower is presumably hollow.
The Light is still operated by the Northern Lighthouse Board, as it was when it was originally built. It is clearly visible from the historic Glenelg-Kylerhea ferry, and the nearby passing place/turning spot, in which it is possible to park.