Eilean Glas (New) Lighthouse
To replace the tower his Stepfather had designed and built in 1789, Robert Stevenson saw room for improvement and built a new Lighthouse at Eilean Glas in 1824.
The new Lighthouse was much taller, standing 30 metres high, meaning it could be seen all the way from the Isle of Skye on a clear day and included a larger lantern with a rotating Fresnel lens, built to a standard design which was by this point being used on all new Lighthouses built in Scotland.
The tower, which was unpainted when built is now painted in distinctive red and white stripes with a gold painted watch-room beneath the black painted Lantern.
1852 saw the introduction of a rotating Fresnel Lens, which enabled the light to give a bright flashing light to distinguish itself from other Lighthouses.
In 1978 the Lighthouse became one of the first in the Northern Lighthouse Board service to become fully automatic and at this time its lens and acetylene lamps were removed and replaced by a bank of Sealed Beam Units which remain in place today, giving 3 white flashes every 20 seconds.
A fog siren also existed at this station and was installed in-front of the tower in 1907; most of which is still in place, despite being in poor condition. The siren was discontinued in 1987 although was presumably still manually operated despite the light being made automatic several years earlier.
In recent times obviously determined vandals attacked the lighthouse, breaking at least 66 windows and causing significant damage to the property, including private dwellings and some of the windows on the tower itself, which have since been boarded up and painted in the colourful bands of the tower.