Corran Point Lighthouse
The Lighthouse on Corran Point was built in 1860 by Thomas and David Stevenson, for the Northern Lighthouse Board.
The Light was built to help vessels navigate the Corran Narrows which is a point in Loch Linnhe in which the space between each opposite shore narrows significantly, thus restricting the passage of larger shipping in the channel.
The Lighthouse, sited not far from the Corran Ferry, from which it is viewed well, is a 13 metre high white-painted tower with a gold painted gallery-lining and service room, below the lantern. The lantern itself is painted black, in the same colour scheme as most Scottish lighthouses, from which a White Light is shown, with Red and Green sectors depending on which direction it is viewed from.
The Red and Green sectors are visible for 7 Nautical Miles whilst the main White light is visible for at least 10.
The Lighthouse was one of the first in Britain to become Automatic, having been made so in 1898; still almost 10 years before any Lighthouses in England were automated.
Today, the lighthouse remains in use and the Keeper's housing is now private property. The lighthouse is remotely controlled from the NLB Headquarters in Edinburgh whilst it's original optic is on display in the museum of Scottish Lighthouses in Fraserburgh.