Channonry Point Lighthouse
The lighthouse at the end of Channonry Ness, marking channonry point was built in 1846 by the Northern Lighthouse Board, to the design of Alan Stevenson, at the time the Commissioners' Engineer to the board. The light marks the shingle spit that sticks out more than 1.5 miles into the Moray Firth on the approach to Inverness.
The small station consists of only an outbuilding with toilets and storage, the keepers housing and the light tower, originally designed for use as a one-man station. The Light keeper on duty was also responsible for the observation of 6 nearby 'Lighted Navigation Buoys'
Like most scotish lighthouses, the tower is painted white, with buff trim and black lantern - it is 13 metres in height with 48 steps leading to the top and exhibits an occulting light, once every 6 seconds, visible for 15 nautical miles. The light was made automatic in 1984 and is now remotely controlled from the Northern Lighthouse Board Headquarters in Edinburgh
The point is probably most famous for its dolphin watching, with almost guarrenteed sightings at the right times of day and the golf course (either side of the road that approaches the lighthouse)