Dingle's unusual metal tower was built in 1885 along with a small stone-built keeper's cottage and several outbuildings.
The cast iron white painted tower is only 7 metres in height and is further elevated, being situated atop a fair-sized cliff.
The lighthouse is painted entirely white, whilst the cottages and surrounding walls are white with red corners and trims. The lantern room at the top, which is surrounded by a narrow railed-gallery, houses a small and modern plastic fresnel lens that gives a green flash every 3 seconds, exhibited through large rectangular windows.
The light marks the eastern side of the entrance to Dingle Bay and is operated by the Dingle Harbour Commissioners.
The station can be reached part-way by a road but requires a short walk from Dunsheane (Dun Seanna) to get to the tower itself.