The short squat-looking lighthouse at Kilcredaun was built in 1827 by the Comissioners of Irish Lighthouses.
The 13 metre high tower is fairly standard as far as CIL lighthouse designs go, although a small fresnel lens that replaced larger and older apparatus in 1931 allowed for the lantern to be altered in 1941, resulting in the top 2 rows of the lantern's glass panes being removed and the roof being replaced with a cone shaped structure instead of the more common domed roof design.
Conversion to acetylene gas came about in 1929, allowing for the light to go unwatched ant the light was converted to electricity and became fully automatic in 1991, with an attendant living on site. The light was monitored via a wireless link to the CIL offices in Dublin.
The light was turned off and permanently discontinued in March 2011 after operating for over 187 years, although all of the obsolete equipment has been left in place. Prior to the light being extinguished, a white light was quickly exhibited once every 6 seconds with a range of 13 nautical miles.
The lighthouse is tricky to find, although can easily be located on Google Maps.