Lundy South Lighthouse
The unusual looking lighthouse at the south tip of Lundy Island was built in 1897 to replace an older tower on the highest point of the island, which had many problems including a light that flashed too fast, a red sector light that appeared to merge with the main light and the fact that a lot of the time it could be invisible - shrouded in the fog.
The 'new' lighthouse forms a triangle between Itself, Hartland Point and Bull point, which help vessels traverse the water between the Mainland and Island. The tower is in the centre of a walled compound and is one of 2 similar stations on the island - very similar in design to the north station as well as Pendeen and Lynmouth Foreland on the Mainland.
The tower is about 16 metres high and is built of locally mined granite which kept building costs down - the two lights entered service on 18th November 1897 with distinctive characters of light and fog signal.
The lights on Lundy were popular with Lighthouse Keepers as they qualified as Rock Stations, which the keeper would earn more money for serving at and these two lights were the only rock stations with a local pub, which is still open today.
Unlike the north station which was electrified in the 1970's, gas was still used at Lundy South up till around 1994 when the station was automated and converted to wind and solar power.
The original lighting apparatus, which had served in the old lighthouse before was removed in 1994 to be replaced by a small Orga Rml 302 Sa Rotating Beacon which unlike the North Station is housed inside the lantern room - this gives One White Flash Every 5 Seconds and is visible for 15 Nautical Miles
When the new south light was built, an explosive report was given off every 10 minutes in foggy weather or reduced viability. Later on in the station's life a siren was installed in a small hut in the south-easterly corner of the compound, with a singular fog trumpet mounted on it's roof - this building still remains but without the trumpet.
Around the 1960's, this was replaced again by an unusual bank of Tyfon horns. The dome of the Lantern was removed and they were installed in its place. The most recent change to the fog signal at Lundy South was the electronic fog horn, which was also mounted on the roof, next to the old Tyfons.