Tynemouth North Pier Lighthouse
The area immediately around the entrance to the river Tyne is rather appropriately known at Tynemouth and with the tyne's large exports of ships and coal, the River's mouth was in need of protection.
Two piers were started in 1854 but took over 40 years to complete due to adverse weather conditions amongst other setbacks. The two breakwaters were completed with two very similar lighthouses; one on each pier's mole/end.
In 1898, the north pier was almost completely destroyed in a storm and it's lighthouse was left disconnected from the land, with large sections of the walkway having completely dissapered.
The remaining parts of the breakwater were consequently demolished and rebuilt by 1909 to a design by John Wolfe-Barry, who is probably best known for designing and constructing Tower Bridge in London.
Today's impressive tower was built by Trinity House in 1903, whilst they still had a depot in Tynemouth. Unusually (and usually not possible) the lighthouse was built before the rest of the breakwater was completed. The lantern houses a considerably large lens for a harbour light and it is likely that it is the original; this rotates to give a group of 3 white flashes every 10 seconds. A foghorn mounted on the tower gives one blast every 10 seconds.