Trent Falls Lighthouse
The Trent Falls lighthouse, sometimes refered to as the Apex Light, now located at Goole's harbour museum, is a small red lighthouse tower built to a simple design, implementing a fuel storage, fog signalling aparatus and a small circular lantern room with gallery into a very compact tower, which stood on a narrow wooden platform. The tower was constructed in 1933 and is square at it's base, gradually tapering up towards the gallery. In total, the lighthouse is only 6 metres in height, although the wooden pilings on which it originally stood upon would have added height.
Trent Falls is the point at which the River Humber starts, where the River Ouse and the River Trent combine to form the bigger and better known river. The light was powered by electricity primarilly but also contained a acetylene reserve for backup use, should the main light fail. The light gave a pattern of a half-second light displayed 3 times, with a 1 second eclipse between, followed by a further 6 second eclipse after this pattern, before it'd restart. This light shone white with red sectors, visible for 10 miles and 6 miles respectively. The red sector marked red for the channel that entered the River Ouse and white for the channel towards the River Trent. A diaphone fog horn was also installed, giving a signal of 1¾ seconds, followed by 12 seconds of silence. An electronic signal stack was a later addition to the light and gave the same characteristic in the case of the diaphone failing.
In the 1951, the tower narrowly escaped complete destruction, when a steamer (SS Irwell) beached itself within metres of the lighthouse tower, narrowly avoiding it. Whilst the lighthouse was not touched, the vessel had met its fate and was either damaged beyond repair or could not be re-floated, so was scrapped.
The Goole harbour museum holds the bell from the vessel.
The exact date of the light's removal is not known, although it was definately removed before 2003 and its replacement light does appear to be much older than that.
Today the tower is preserved at the Goole harbour museum and the wooden platform on which it stood is still in its original position at trent falls and hosts a more modern post-light atop it.