Shornemead Old Lighthouse
The original Shornemead Lighthouse; one of the last actual lighthouses to be built on the River Thames, was built in 1913 to mark the muddy banks on a meander in the Thames, just East of Gravesend and South of Tilbury Fort.
The skeletal Lighthouse was designed by Sir Thomas Matthews for Trinity House, who operated the light until the Port of London Authority assumed responsibility for the Light.
The red metal tower was originally 14 metres high and painted red, showing a white acetylene Powered light from a circular lantern; this was turned on and off automatically by a sun-valve at day and night.
The light gave a flash every 10 seconds and was covered by red and green sectors in certain directions, with the same character.
The white Light was visible for 7 Nautical Miles, but the ranges of the sectors is not known.
Due to erosion, a bridge to the Lighthouse had to be extended, as it got further from the shore - this being costly and the fact that the erosion later undermined the Lighthouse itself, causing it to lean, lead to its replacement in 2004.
The Lighthouse was cut off of it's base and 3 metres of lower part of the tower had to be removed in order for the rest of it to be salvaged from the concrete platform on which it stood.
Since the tower's removal, it has been stored at the Port of London Authority's depot at Denton Wharf, Gravesend, presumably where it will stay until a new use for it can be found.
After the replacement of the Shornemead Lighthouse, it was replaced by a simple red and white cylindrical tower with several gallery's supporting Wind turbines and Lights, situated approximately 300 up river from the old location, where the foundation of the old Lighthouse still exists.
The road to Denton Wharf is open to the public, and the Lighthouse can be viewed from outside the compound it is stored in.