The lighthouse in pakefield, 2 miles south of lowestoft is often forgoten about - most people, including some locals dont even know of its existance.
The lighthouse was built between 1831 and 1832, and was lit on the 1st of May that year.
The tower was designed by Richard Suter and was built on the grounds of Pakefield Hall at the cost of £821 9s 4d (Roughly £40,654.39 in todays money)
The tower is unusual in design, with long thin windows running up the side of the tower and small round windows just below the gallery.
A fixed red light, visible for 9 nautical miles was shone a short square-paned lantern, using parabolic reflectors. By 1850 the channel that the light had marked had changed, but strangely the light remained in service until 1st January 1901.
After discontinuation, the lighthouse tower and its adjoining house became derelict and was later sold off to the owners of Pakefield Hall in 1929. Pakefield Hall opened an area of land as a Holiday Camp, upon which Campers could pitch tents to stay in - this became increasingly popular in the 1930's and wooden huts were built for holiday makers, as well as the old keepers houses being turned into a bar for the campers.
In April 1938 the Royal Observer Corps were stationed at Pakefield and the lantern of the lighthouse was removed so that it could be turned into a lookout tower, allowing for easier viewing of the vessels and aircraft out at sea.
The lighthouse was hit by machine gun fire during the war and a V1 missile with a faulty gyroscope ditched onto the beach just off of the campsite, within just a few metres of the cliff on which the lighthouse sits.
The lookout post closed at the end of the war and the lantern was reinstalled.
The tower was converted to a photographers darkroom after the land and lighthouse was bought by Pontin's Holiday Centre in 1958 - the resident photographer lived in the keepers house.
The house has since been demolished, but the tower remains in a good condition and is still located within the grounds of the pontins holiday camp. The tower is now used as a coastwatch station.