Most visitors and tourists probably wouldn't even know that there was a lighthouse in the middle of Ilfracombe. The lighthouse is part of the small Chapel of St. Nicholas on top of lantern hill. The chapel was built in 1320 and a light has been shown from the building since 1650.
In 1819 Trinity House took over operation of the light and installed the current lantern, but the light is now operated by North Devon District Council.
The flashing green light is only lit in the winter months and is visible for 6 nautical miles.