The lighthouse on Folkestone Pier was built in 1860 and is of a similar design to the tower on Dover's Prince of Wales Pier. The 9 metre high tower is built into the breakwater itself and can be seen by walking most of the breakwater (The last section is closed off)
The White light Flashes Twice every 10 seconds; however, during in fog or reduced viability the characteristic changes to one white flash every 2 seconds.
The electronic foghorn mounted on the front of the stone tower gives 4 Blasts Every 60 Seconds and replaced a diaphone housed in the lantern roof above the light, which gave one blast of seven seconds duration every thirty seconds.
The tower can be seen from several points in the town and by walking along the pier from a flight of stairs at the end of the abandoned railway station's platform.
The railway station at Folkestone Harbour is of interest for several reasons other than it being the access point to the Lighthouse. It is from here that railway ferry services departed to bring trains such as the orient express to the European Continent - for a time, this was provided by a company owned by British Rail, known as Sealink. The process of transferring trains onto ships was used prior to the construction of the Eurotunnel, which made rail-ferries redundant. from which railway ferries left for the continent, prior to the construction of the Channel Tunnel; this is one of the locations that is travelled by Phileas Fogg in Jules Verne's 'Around the World in Eighty Days' book.
The lighthouse was completely refurbished in 2011, including cleaning, repainting and the replacement of glass panes in the lantern, which had become smashed and dirty, through years of lacking maintained.