Dovercourt Low Lighthouse
The 'Low Lighthouse' on Dovercourt's shore was built in 1863 as one of a pair after the two Lighthouses at Harwich, which worked on a similar principal of being aligned by the mariner to mark safe passage had become inacurate and dangerously misleading.
The two iron towers were built by Trinity House to aid navigation into the River Orwell on which the busy ports of Felixtowe and Harwich are located.
The impressive tower is supported by 8 legs (which merge into 4, nearer the ground on which they stand) and is painted black. From top to bottom the tower is 8 metres in height and the lower portion of the structure is often submerged at low tide.
The light, which shone from a square window in an enclosed lantern (Which does not resemble the High Light's lantern at all), exhibited a fixed white, marking safe passage into the ports of Harwich and Felixstowe until 1917, at which point both Lighthouses were discontinued.
After being extinguished, both of the Dovercourt Lighthouses fell into disrepair and were only restored in 1988. Tony O'Neil was given a lease to open the High Lighthouse to the public, including a camera to show the inside of the Low Lighthouse, which can not be reached safely on foot due to the poor state of the narrow causeway, although this is yet to happen.