During the nineteenth century Berwick-upon-Tweed became an important trading town and it grew in size considerably with the addition of it's new harbours and quays. The town's main breakwater was extended between 1810 and 1811 to protect the harbours, so required a lighthouse to be built at its end, which happened in 1826.
The tower is 13 metres high and is built almost completely out of locally sourced stone, including the lantern and roof - it is painted mostly white, with the base and roof painted red.
The front of the tower has a wide window, from which the main white light, flashing once every 5 seconds, is displayed, infront of which is the gallery, where the foghorn and fog detector were mounted until removed in the 2011 refurbishment of the tower, when the whole lighthouse was grit-blasted and repainted.
A small fixed green light is shown from a window in the back of the tower, which faces inland, visible for only a mile.
The lighthouse was completely re-painted in 2011, for the first time in 16 years.